What is Rice Bran Oil?
With changing times, Rice Bran Oil has creeped up the charts of increasing popularity for having many advantages over the standard cooking oils used all over the world. The bran is extracted from the outer layer of the rice which is hard and brown and it contains vegetable fat called Rice Bran Oil. It is widely favored these days because of its mild flavor and high smoke point. It is a very popular cooking oil in several Asian countries like India, Japan, Korea, Bangladesh, China and Indonesia. It is also used in salad dressings because of the mild flavor that it has.
Apart from having aneconomical, it has several health benefits which is compelling other countries from across the globe to favor it as a healthy cooking oil. The health benefits of rice bran oil are:
1. Preventing Menopausal Issues: Eventually all women come across menopausal problems. A study conducted on how rice bran oil effects menopausal women came up with the results that more than 90% of the women taking the supplement reported a reduction in the irritating symptoms of menopause like hot flashes.
2. Controlling cholesterol: Both the American Heart Association and World Health Organization have stated that rice bran oil is probably the best in composition, containing a very balanced percentage of the fats, namely, polyunsaturated, monounsaturated and saturated fats when compared to the other vegetable oils. This balance is very essential in getting rid of the bad forms of cholesterol and increasing the good forms of cholesterol. This helps in preventing conditions like atherosclerosis, heart attacks and strokes. Today, heart diseases have become so common because of the consumption of oil-laden foods. Rice bran oil helps in reducing the chances of developing a heart disease as it has oryzanol. Oryzanol is a wonderful compound that aids in lowering levels of blood cholesterol as well as prevent clotting.
3. Controlling premature aging: Rice bran oil is rich in Vitamin E which is known for its direct connection to health and wellness of the skin. Vitamin E also helps in the quick healing of wounds, smooth and wrinkleless skin, increasing cellular regeneration and protect the skin from sunburn. The skin is shielded from the invasion of foreign toxins and pathogens, thus boosting the defensive mechanisms of the skin.
4. Preventing cancer: Apart from controlling premature aging, Vitamin E is associated with the prevention of cancer. Rice bran oil is also rich in antioxidants and compounds like Oryzanol. It is rich in both tocopherol and tocotrienol which are not present in most vegetable oils. And as rice bran oil is rich in antioxidants, the free radicals in the body that are very harmful, are neutralized. But, what exactly are these free radicals? These are a dangerous by product of cellular metabolism that can make healthy cells transform into cancerous ones.
5. Boosting immunity: Because of being rich in antioxidants, it helps in boosting the immunity system of the body by giving it the strength to fight free radicals and improves resistance to the various diseases.
6. Improving The Endocrine System: Vitamin E helps in balancing out the release of hormones and in turn, improving the functioning of the endocrine system.
7. Improving liver function:There are several important and healthy compounds that are found in rice bran oil. These compounds improve liver functions to a significant extent and also prevent the development of a fatty liver.
8. Promoting the healthy growth of hair: Rice bran oil contains esters and ferulic acid which help in stimulating a healthy growth of hair. The presence of antioxidants and Vitamin E provides many benefits for the hair. Premature greying of the hair is prevented by Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids present in rice bran oil. Rice bran oil can be used as a hot-oil treatment to nourish one’s hair and make it beautiful and healthy.
9. Has the good fats in it:The Indian Council of Medical Research and the National Institute of Nutrition, both recommend the consumption of oils that have a balanced composition of saturated fats, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. This balanced fatty acid ratio in rice bran oil is proved to be very beneficial for the body in several ways. It is also free of trans-fats, making it ideal for usage as a cooking oil.(www.lybrate.com)
10. High smoke-point: At 254C, rice bran has a high smoke point which make it the best oil to be used during deep frying or stir frying. Not just that, it has the ability to maintain its nutritional value even at high temperatures.(food.ndtv.com)